When I interview people about How I Organize My Closet, I especially love when very successful people admit they just can't keep up with their closets. It's a relief to hear that while running a successful business and building a career, their closets still terrify them.This is because, I think, there's just so many elements to keep track of in a closet: accessories, shoes, sweaters, jeans, business suits. You're stuffing several different aspects of your life into one (often) tiny space. So sit back, relax, and read about how other people are tackling their closet. PS: If you'd like to be interviewed, you can fill out the form here: How I Organize My Closet.
How I Organize My Closet with Jenni Pulos
- Likes to hang onto her clothing for as long as possible
- Sorts by how often worn
- Occasionally allows a wire dry cleaner hanger to slip into her closet.
How I Organize My Closet with Elizabeth Weintraub
- Cleans her closet twice a year in the spring and fall
- Sorts clothes: pants and skirts, tops and jackets.
- Uses use plastic hangers with little notches for straps
- Her decluttering philosophy: "If I can't remember the last time I wore it, out it goes."
How I Organize My Closet with Katherine Blocksdorf
- Uses a big round rack from a department store in lieu of a traditional closet
- Groups items by type: pants, shirts, tops
- Does not own anything that requires dry cleaning
- Her dream closet would have shelves for boot storage and a full-length mirror
How I Organize My Closet with Lauren Flanagan
- Keeps a bag for Goodwill nearby to delcutter
- Sorts clothes by type
- Uses plastic hangers shoe stole from her mom's house (and has resolved to buy some of her own)
- Her dream closet is an entire dressing room (mine too, Lauren!)
How I Organize My Closet with Mariette Mifflin
- Organizes her closet when it needs it, not on a regular schedule
- Uses a DIY closet organizer
- Heavy plastic hangers serve two purposes: the traditional one, and also used to hand dry clothes
- Her dream closet has an accessory console (great idea!) and a sections for seasonal wardrobe items
How I Organize My Closet with Mary Marlowe Leverette
- Does a full closet re-organization and deep cleaning twice a year
- Organizes by type: slacks, shirts, blazers, and then by color
- Advises to remove dry cleaning from the wire hanger and plastic bag
- All of her clothes are donated to charity
- Currently has her dream closet with plenty of hanging space and high shelves for storage, and extra lighting