Plastic storage containers are the best way to store and organize out-of-season or specialty clothing items. (Think: Halloween costumes or your unfortunate but just-can't-quit-them collection of Christmas sweaters).
- Versatile: Plastic shields clothing from the elements, like a damp basement or a dusty attic.
- Functional: Square and uniformly-sized, they can be stacked in corners or on high shelves utilizing every inch of your storage space.
- Easy-to-Use: Clear plastic means you can easily retrieve items from the correct storage container without rummaging around.
How to Use Plastic Storage Containers
My 3rd most useful pick is the Container Store's sturdy accessory box. Yes, you can use these to store scarves, gloves, hats, chunky jewelery, and hosiery, but I would encourage you think think outside the box (pun intended). Here are some other ideas for the smaller accessory box:
- Desk accessories
- Cables and wires
- Travel toiletries
The list could go on and on.NOTE: These can be bought individually or in a case of 48 from The Container Store.
The 22 gallon plastic storage container is my number 1 pick. A great, multi-use option:
- Roomy enough to fit more than a hat; while being,
- Small enough for a woman to easily carry (I know from my own experience, some boxes are too big for my arm span, and therefore too awkward to carry comfortably).
The size also guarantees you won't be weighing the container down to the point where it's unsafe to ease it off a high shelf.
TIP: Buy in bulk to ensure you'll be able to stack these containers neatly. They are designed to "fit" together.
Sweater storage is a delicate art. Sweaters, typically made of cotton, wool or cashmere, aren't content to just sit around in any old box during the hot summer months. They need to breathe and they need protection from the elements. These deep, plastic storage boxes ensure you won't cram them on top of each other to fit them, and the plastic will protect fabric from dust and humidity.
TIP: Since these boxes are on the large size, do not store them higher than your torso. Pulling them down off of a high shelf could be dangerous.
Due to the size of this box, you'll want to store light-weight items like clothes and accessories--no books or kitchen pots and pans. Also, store a box this large on a lower-shelf to spare your back.
- Dimensions: Length: 24.4 "; Width: 17.0 "; Height: 25.6 "
- You can buy this in a pack of 6 or as 1 at a time.