I can’t seem to keep my mud room/laundry area organized. It is the pass through to our garage and gets a lot of use. Any suggestions?
The mud room/laundry room is a high traffic area and is often used for many different functions such as:
- Hang Keys
- Charge Cell Phones
- Briefcase, Backpack or Purse Drop-Off Area
- Shoe Storage
- Pet accessories (leash, grooming supplies, etc.)
- Mail Drop-Off
Typically the size of this room runs small, which can create an even bigger dilemma. How do you create a multi-function room within a limited space and keep it organized:
- Determine The Functions of The Room:
More specifically, what is this room used for? Take a look at the list above and add or subtract as needed.
- Eliminate The Clutter:
You were afraid that this part was coming right? You know that there is a few if not many items in this room that either don't belong there, or aren't being used and you must get rid of them! Either toss, donate or sell. Refer to Toss or Keep Guidelines .
- Utilize Existing Storage or Invest in New:
Does this room have existing cupboards or shelves? If so, then definitely utilize this. Otherwise, if you need additional space, you will need to invest in storage to help create this multi-use room.
Consider These Great Storage Ideas:
- Slim Laundry Cart :
This is very slim, and fits in between your washer and dryer - a smart way to utilize that empty space.
- Over Washer/Dryer Storage Shelf :
Affordable and functional - you can't be that!
- Wall Cubby w/Hooks :
This is a good idea if you don't have the room for a hall tree (see below) but you need it for similar functions (hang jackets, store everyday used items, etc.)
- Over The Door Storage Rack :
Although this is intended for CDs & DVDs, it can be used to hold items that you need to remember to take with you: lunch, laundry, mail, books, etc. And, it allows you to utilize an existing space (back of the door) that we don't normally consider using.
- Expanding Coat Rack :
This is great to hang up jackets, umbrellas and pet supplies (collars, leashes).
- Stacking Cubes :
I love this idea, and if you have the wall space it is a great idea to store a number of different items, such as briefcases, outgoing laundry, kid's school supplies and accessories, etc.
- Entryway Organizer : Also know as a Hall Tree, this is on the pricey side, but it is the perfect all-in-one storage and the depth is small which won't take up too much space.
- Cleaning/Laundry Organization Kit :
Great for laundry/cleaning needs and well priced.
- Entryway Organizer :
Another great option for a Hall Tree.
- Key/Mail Organizer :
There are a number of styles and affordable prices that will help prevent you from looking all over the house for your keys! And, remind you to mail those important bills/letters.
- Cell Phone Charger Station :
Never leave the house without your cell phone or electronic devices again with these affordable and useful chargers.
The bottom line is that in order to keep this room organized, you must be diligent about the following tasks:
- Eliminating clutter
- Designate storage for certain tasks: For example, Laundry supplies in one cabinet, cleaning supplies in another cabinet and kid's stuff altogether.
- Always put things back where they belong