- Have I measured the items I am trying to organize?
- Do I already own anything I can use to organize?
- Do I need to store/organize this? Can I toss it instead?
Don't Skimp on Planning
As hard as it is when you're desperate for organization, slow down and take the time to think about what type of storage you need. The products you purchase should work for your space - not the other way around.
- Do you need some storage bins or do you actually need a proper dresser?
- Think about food canisters sets - they often feature canisters in multiple sizes. Do you need multiple sizes? Do you need uniform containers of the same size?
Do Your Research
Heading into the Container Store and grabbing everything that looks fun, is really, really fun, but the items that look good might not be the best ones for your space. Do your research! Check the Store It Guide, read online reviews, make sure whatever you buy is going to do the job you need done.
Avoid Multiple Trips to the Store
There's nothing as frustrating as bringing home a storage solution that doesn't fit into your storage space. Not only do you now not have the solutions in place you wanted, you have to return the item, and you have to have it sitting around your home or office until you have time to do so.
Avoid this ugly scenario by measuring your space three times. Why three? To make sure you get it right. By measuring three time, you can avoid a measurement that "just don't seem right."
Bottom LineResist the urge to spend indiscriminately. Instead, take the time to think, measure and plan how to store items.
All the tools you need to get started organizing your home, office and your life.