- Boot Storage To preserve the boot's shaft, store them upright or in a box, and stuff them with tissue paper. Unless they are super-sturdy work boots, rain boots or snow boots, I don't recommend boot hooks. They tend to stretch the boot shaft. Check out our Boot Storage Guide.
- Swap Your Shoes Twice a Year If you live in a four season climate, out of season shoes should be stored in boxes or bins very high up in a closet. Your knee-high black leather boots should not be taking up prime closet real estate during the summer months, nor should your strappy sandals be front-and-center in February. If you decide in the middle of July to take a ski trip to Argentina then you can take the snow boots down from the top of your closet. (And bonus, since you just moved them up there a few months earlier for storage, you'll know where to find them when you're packing.)
- Keep Frequently Worn Shoes Nearby If, like me, you're the kind of person who takes their shoes off by the door and never bothers to store them in the bedroom closet, then allow yourself some flexibility here and carve out a storage space in your entry way. This will keep your shoes from piling up by the door. Remember: you should be storing shoes by utility. They don't all have to be lined up next to each other in the same space.
- Store Dressy Shoes in a Closet or On A Shelf Your dressy shoes are likely to be your most expensive shoes. I recommend these are stored either in their original boxes or in clear plastic shoe boxes on a shelf to keep them clean and safe from kids, pets and spills.
- Is it too complicated?
- Do I have a good idea of where most of my shoes are stored?
- Is it a hassle to keep my shoes organized?
If the answer is yes to any of the above, adjust accordingly. If you find the over-the-door rack is not realistic for you, try the under-the-bed bag. If you're having trouble getting your shoes into your bedroom closet daily, move them to a closet closer to your door.
In short: your system should fit you; you shouldn't be struggling to use a product.
Shoe Storage 101
Everything you need to know about shoe store and organization.